Thursday 16 February 2012

Welcome to my new blog

Deciding to become a writer was a big decision for me, because I'm not a natural writer that has words flowing from the end of my pen (keyboard), and I can't write 100,000 words in a month, two months or even six months. I have to fight and think about every single word I place in my pieces, and it's hard work. I considered this to be a handicap, but a good friend told me that it isn't. However, that good friend has five books published already and is working on another three, all done in a year! So believing him was difficult at first.

I have stories to tell, so what else is there to do but write them. I have written short stories, and essays for university, but then, all of a sudden, there I was thinking about writing a book. A book! and I have ideas for other books too.

Sitting down to do it just seemed like too big a task. Researching how many words are needed for a novel, and finding out that 60,000+ was a good start, was so demoralising. Just the thought of needing at least 40,000+ words sent my brain into overload and had me stressing so much. I knew that I wouldn't be able to do it.

That was until I found the creative writing group on facebook. They have been an inspiration to me and have kept me going when I was ready to give up. They have inspired me with their successes, and can relate when things go wrong. We support each other when things are tough, kick each other up the ass when we need it, urge and prod and encourage each other all the way until the end. From a bunch of strangers all trying to find someone who cares, we have become a strong community of very good friends.

Without them, I would have given up on my book a long time ago. Writing used to be lonely, but not any more. We all only have to ask, and someone in the group will be there, to read a story and give feedback, or simply just to chat. Sometimes we don't even have to ask, our very silence within the group would have someone asking if everything is alright. We have become 'in tune' and can tell by subtle nuances in someones posts now, whether they are doing well with their writing or struggling, and we are all there for each other.

Why am I being all wishy washy?

Because without them, I wouldn't have finished my book. Yes, I finished it and it is now on sale at Amazon as an ebook. It is a supernatural thriller called Stealth, and I hope that it sells well. If you are curious, and want to buy it, or read some sample chapters, then you can find it here.

So, thank you guys, for all the pushing, and the encouragement, and the laughs.





No comments:

Post a Comment